Listen to the article now
Taking responsibility for your life is the first step to achieving your goals and living a fulfilling life. It requires you to step up! Pay attention to tiny academic details and life generally; learn to ask for guidance, and manage your schedule like a champ!
You can think of this process as a tradeoff that will help you adopt a life of excellence.
In this article, we unpack the process through which you can become a better student.
Let’s take a walk through these essentials:
Be detail oriented
Not all modules carry the same weight.
One of the major changes at university level is that marking is performed differently compared to high school. For example, if you were to score below 49% for an exam, you cannot pass the said module. Any result below the D symbol at university level is considered a failure.
In high school, in order to obtain an A symbol, you need to get 80%+ for a subject. At university, you need a minimum of 75%.
In the event that you don’t pass an examination but fall within the bracket of a near pass (45% +), you’ll likely be eligible to sit for a supplementary exam.
Note: There might be additional factors that influence your qualification for the supp. examination. It’s imperative to learn about your school’s grading process.
Find out the kinds of courses available to you
Learn the difference between electives, core and compulsory subjects.
Let’s briefly go through each:
- Core subjects are compulsory study in order to obtain a degree. These courses are significant to academic degrees. However, in some instances they might not necessarily be foundational to your major course.
- Elective subjects are different to both the core and compulsory courses. It is the only adjustable part of your curriculum. You can pick the electives from a number of optional subjects.
- Compulsory subjects are fundamental to your preferred field of study. For example, an accounting student would possibly have to attend classes such as Organizational Theory and the Basic Principles of Marketing. This is because the subjects represent an important portion in the study of commercial enterprises. In such complex cases, your academic advisor can help you discover which courses within your major are mandatory and help you plan accordingly.
Additionally, a study plan will list all the courses that you need to study to advance through your course.
Seek academic guidance early and often
Don’t struggle in silence
It’s important to speak up and seek help so that you navigate your school and get the best out of the learning experience.
When you need a soundboard, a fresh perspective, then an academic advisor can assist. They are trained to help you:
- Choose and structure your coursework
- Initiate your on-campus processes
- Manage time effectively
- Plan and achieve your academic goals
- Attending relevant workshops and events that will help you grow
And in order to prepare for your first meeting with your academic advisor, you can ask questions about:
- Course registration
- Financial resources
- Strategies to study effectively
- The different major subjects and related careers
- How to get involved in various student organizations
- How to build and maintain professional relationships
Manage your time and projects like a pro!
“Punctuality is the best aphrodisiac.” – Louis Litt (from a television show called Suits).
Good time and project management skills are valuable to teachers and employers alike.
Never miss important dates and times. Here are a few ideas that may help, below:
- Use a calendar or a planner of sorts to keep track of deadlines, appointments, and other responsibilities.
- Break tasks into small and manageable parts. This simple strategy can help make a large project easier to digest and complete.
- Develop a timeline for the milestones that you need to achieve. Weigh them out and then decide which tasks are top priorities and get to work.
There’s no getting around it. The life of a student can be quite demanding to manage. That’s why it’s important to balance out the schoolwork with the other commitments in your life. Be a well-rounded person while on the journey to graduation and world domination.
Think of it this way. The time spent getting tertiary education is also a training session to sharpen your life skills.